Thursday, February 16, 2012

Word to Your Mom...

I apologize in advance - this is not a "How-to" post because I didn't film myself making them, nor do I have a "How-To" link, but it can serve as an inspirational post for all the Scrabble lovin', do-it-yourself'ers out there!





Ah, Buddy, he gets me every time. As a finalist in this 2011 Scrabble Championship, I am clearly a lover of Scrabble. I also am a lover of Scrabble crafts. I find that any way the letters are integrated into something other than the game is clever and geek chic. Hence my inspiration for the Scrabble pillows I made for our bed- "C" for Cj and "L" for Leanne.




In a nut shell, I went to JoAnn's fabric and bought a material I felt looked close enough to the color of pieces that come with the game. I literally cut squares for the pillows and left the back piece longer than the front so it could overlap for a back closure.


For the letter, I opened up Microsoft Word and started playing around with fonts.  I felt that Arial Narrow looked pretty legit when I blew up the letters. I then took a look at my Scrabble pieces to check the scoring of each letter. (If you don't have the game, you can find the values online. Then, I printed out the letters on a high quality iron-on sheet (one that will not crinkle easily) and ironed them on the front square.


Next, I jumped on an old sewing machine, turned the squares inside out, and sewed the edges together. I left an opening that you can see in the above picture to stuff the cases. (There are a bunch of tutorials online on how to sew a pillow case - all it takes is a simple Google search). Since I didn't make the cases according to a certain pillow insert size, I just stuffed them with a soft polyester filling I purchased at Wal-Mart and viola! 

They were really easy to make and if you're not a DIY'er, you can purchase these cases on Etsy. I gave them to Cj as an early Valentine's Day gift and they look great on our new bed :)

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Any possibility of a rematch between you and bud in the near future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we make it to the Scrabble playoffs, then the final championship round, then YES!

    ReplyDelete